Founded All Souls Day, 2nd November 1991, the Sole Society is a family history society researching SOLE, SAUL, SEWELL, SOLLEY and similar names. Most of our research is UK based but our records include overseas links.
Benefits we offer:
- Three journals a year. Our award winning Journal, Soul Search, is a tremendous resource full of research information and interesting articles. Click HERE for more information.
- Access to a very large number of family charts through our Surname Co-ordinators.
- Expert advice from our surname co-ordinator’s on where to look for further information.
- An annual members Gathering each year in varying locations in the UK, with interesting speakers and chance to discuss your research in person.
- If you wish to contribute to our journal, Soul Search, you will benefit from a world wide audience as all articles are subsequently added to our web site which is well indexed by the major search engines.
- An online Discussion Forum
The Society revolves around a small committee that includes experienced surname co-ordinators. These co-ordinators have research responsibility for specific surnames and geographic areas. Their job is to collect, index and chart the information that we get from members and other genealogical sources. The co-ordinators regularly publish progress reports in our journal Soul Search and all of these research reports can be read online. This in itself is a valuable resource, with well over 10 years of research reports that can be searched in seconds.
Our Research Co-ordinators also help members to make the most of the Society’s resources and act as a point of contact. Please click the Contact link at the top of the page.
All is the work is undertaken on a voluntary basis, and we are indebted to those who have contributed to our work over the years
Origins of our Names
Many articles have been written in our Journal over the years about the origins of our names. Some of the key articles are listed below. Additional articles can be found using the Search facility – type in your surname and the word ‘origin’ and use ‘Find ALL Words’.
- Distribution of the SAUL Surname and Variants in England in 1851
- The All Souls Collage: SOLE – SAUL – SALE – SELL
- The All Souls Collage: SEWELL-SOWELL
- The All Souls Collage: SOLLEY – SAWLEY
- The Road Back – Origins of the Saul Name
- Fact and Fiction in Family History
- The Domesday Book and the early Sewells
- Sewell Origins: Cumberland and Westmorland
- A Sewell Topography
- Searching Medieval Records for Sources of Names